It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ] 
 Post subject: Countries blocked due to abuse. READ THIS!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 5:21 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Our recent restriction caused many people complaining because their country/IP range has been blocked from our servers. Obviously this policy isn't the best way to fight abusers, but it is the only one available that will bring us a prompt success in this fight.

Although we will leave certain IPs and IP ranges blocked we intend to allow people from the most of the countries/IP ranges that are currently blocked to sign up here at 100webspace again. But there will be still some restrictions.

This situation will be discussed with our managers and it will be sorted out. Meanwhile I would like to ask you everyone to stand by and stop posting here at the forum about the same issue over and over again, this would not speed up things. Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Oliver on Fri Oct 21, 2005 10:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:17 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Well at least people can post in this one. What ever way you look at this, blocking a whole country is discrimination. This company blocked the whole of Israel because of a few abusers of the service. Are 100 webspace willing to publish the estimated numbers of abusers in Israel, compared to any other large country? This would then show that they have a reason to block just Israel, while leaving other countries unblocked. If one thread was left open for people to post their views, new threads wouldn't be started. But as 99% have been deleted or locked, people assume 100webspce have something to hide.
Just my thoughts on the matter.But I don't expect them to stay for long :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 8:26 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

We would appreciate if everyone that has something to say about this posts here. This thread will remain open and we will review every single post so that we can take in consideration everything you have to say.

We cannot publish the information you asked for, but I assure you that we had a good reason to make this restriction (although as said before this is just a temporary thing until we manage to find a way to fight the abuse comming from the blocked IP ranges). The problem is that there is a great % of abuse comming from the IP ranges that we have blocked compared to the non-abusers signing up from there. You should agree that we cannot allow people to sign up from an IP range that brings 70-80% abusers - and these are only the accounts that we managed to find and close. We are checking all servers for abusers' accounts and as soon as we finish with these checks we will concentrate on finding a better way to prevent them for using our service to publish sites with abusive content, phishing sites and all kind of content that is illegal.

We needed to take this measure to win us some time to do the checks. It is a pitty that the whole team is now busy checking for abusers and not improving the service. We really hope of your understanding in this matter. As I said befoe this measure is a temporary one, please give us some time to figure a better way to fight abuse of our services. Thank you in advance again!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:49 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Dear Oliver Reed,

Your decision to block all Israel's IP addresses has made lots of "noise" here in Israel, and has been reported in the news.

Your frustration from Israelis is easily shown by your posts, and I truly can understand this.

But I believe that blocking whole range of IP's is not the correct solution. As you mentioned yourself here http://forum.100webspace.com/viewtopic.php?t=2098 you lose money from this action.

I am not familiar with the specific abuse your network and servers have been under, but I can assure you that the source of any abuse is worldwide.

I believe that you should find better solutions to protect your network and servers. I hope (for everyone sake) that this problem will be solved.

Regards,
Adam.
Citizen of Israel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 11:09 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Greetings,

Where is the actual list of blocked countries? Or if this does not exist, where is the original announcement on this issue? I've been all over your site and I can't seem find this information.

I don't have an opinion one way or another. I'm just intensely curious.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:22 pm 
ABUSER

i'd like to see the list too :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

@ben-gur: I really want to make it clear that nationality is not the matter here. You should understand also that the fact that 80% of the accounts made from your country were accounts that in one way or the other abused our service. Again I want to say that these are the accounts that we were able to close until now and we haven't finished the checks on half of our servers.

I really have nothing more to say about this issue. We will try to find a better way to prevent abuse comming from the IP ranges that we have blocked but until we do this restriction is our best option.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:32 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

80% :shock: I'm sorry, but that is VERY had to take in :shock: It would be good for your business and the public to see some proof of this. As a business man myself, I would do everything possible do back up my actions. This leaves no doubt about why your action was needed, and would stop this topic dead.
At the moment there is only the story that your company blocked a whole country :shock: Maybe the story (and proof) that 80% of members from that country abused the service would put a stop to it all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 9:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You are a business man, right? You of all people really think that we would publish any information about this on the Net? Also I think people do not understand that we are the ones providing the service and as such we are the ones who decide whether to distribute it in a certain country/to certain individual or not. It is not us who should be blaimed for the situation, we changed data centers several times and ruined our business relation with several companies because of our policy to accept everyone, but now this is over. We must protect ourselves from abuse and we will.

End of discussion, if anyone has a Pre-sales question, please ask it. Otherwise I do not think that there is anything else to be added to this subject!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:58 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Quote:
You are a business man, right? You of all people really think that we would publish any information about this on the Net?

YES. If this was my business, here is what I would give as a statement.

Quote:
Due to the volume of accounts from (Country) that have abused our free service, we have had to block 99% of the IP ranges from (Country). Of the 2000 accounts opened from (Country), 1600 of them have abused or broken the TOS in some way or another. There are no other countries that have a total of abusive accounts anywhere near the 1600 found from (country), and therefor no other country has had this ban put on them. This is only a temporary measure, but we feel the need to do this to protect our server security. We are sorry to all none abusive members from this country, and hope you understand our reasons for doing this. We are working on a way to fix this problem and return our normal service to (Counrt) as soon as possible.
Thank you for your understanding on this matter.

I would have made this statement before I imposed the ban, therefor answering all questions about the matter before they were asked. Anybody reading that would agree that your business had good reason to impose the ban, and would not have take offence at you doing so. As it stands all your company has said is that 80% of users from Israel are abusing your service, so you banned them all. A few simple facts like number of accounts compared to other countries, would show why you had to do it. As it stands the worlds eyes are looking at this and seeing a racist/discriminating policy.

As for the rest of your reply:

Quote:
Also I think people do not understand that we are the ones providing the service and as such we are the ones who decide whether to distribute it in a certain country/to certain individual or not

This is true, but saying that doesn't explain why you decided to ban whole countries.

Quote:
It is not us who should be blaimed for the situation, we changed data centers several times and ruined our business relation with several companies because of our policy to accept everyone, but now this is over

So you are saying that these other companies all requested that you ban Israel from your severs? And that your reputation has been ruined because you didn't ban Israel?
Quote:
We must protect ourselves from abuse and we will.

Yes I agree, but there are ways of doing things correctly, and what has been done (racist or not) is not the way to do it.
You will now see that your company, and this story, is popping up all over the net (and other media). Bad press is what you are getting now, and this will do more harm than any abusers of your service ever could

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:02 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Are Sign ups from Italy blocked ?

If I try to click on Sign Up I have the following error:

Signups trought proxies are not allowed. Please use your real IP.

I'm connected trought an italian Adsl at home with only one pc.

Thanks! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:04 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please just try signing up from a computer that uses a different ISP.

Post subject: Hope The Quick Reply Is As Good As
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 9:58 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Hope The Quick Reply Is As Good As The Quick Decision Making In Ur Company.

In Mumbai Most Of The Personal Computer Users Are Connected Thru Lan... So I Gues Ur Missing Out On An Big Chuck Of New Users..

Anyways .. Be Quick And Be Safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 9:51 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

I think it is good you try to minimalize abuse, but to block an IP range? What happens if, say only 50% used a "re-route"? I WAS a hacker about 3 years ago, so I know about this: You NEVER use your own IP, so always re-route it to somewhere...

The only way to show the true IP is to ping it for about 5 to 20 times, depending on howmany re-routes have been taken place...

It realy came from that one country?? I'm really sorry, but I can't agree... I live in the Netherlands, and am therefore unaffected so far, but still, it concerns me that an entire country was blocked, for one reason or the other...

I do know that you guys are trying everything you can to avoid being abused in some way, so don't get me wrong, I'm just providing some "classified" info...

Sorry all you guys out there, but this was needed to be said...

(by the way, your "/templates/100webspace/images/icon_minipost.gif" is not working...)

Post subject: BLOCK COUNTRIES THAT ABUSE THEIR PRIVELEDGES...
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:42 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Just happened across this FORUM and this TOPIC and I am glad to see that I am NOT the only one that blocks whole countries because of abuse. The Internet is a PRIVELEDGE and NOT A RIGHT, so I also made the choice to BLOCK CERTAIN COUNTRIES for my website/portal. Obviously this hurts business but it is better to BLOCK CERTAIN COUNTRIES until something can be done to properly address problem users.

You build a portal/site and ALL YOUR TIME is focused on setting up a STABLE infrastructure without having irresponsible individuals destroy the work of HARD WORKING individuals... Good job 100webspace.com...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:41 am 
Noobie
Noobie

I know that 100webspace has to be protected, and I have already an account on 100webspace.
The problem is the following:
I have tried to signup with a proxy and this is sucessful. But, in some days, I wish to create an account to my friend in THEIR computer. And get the same result. I will refer the proxy I was used to signup in this service, and this is blocked!
Time before, I have tried on 3 another computers and can´t signup to this service because an IP range is blocked. I know that some abusers has done in 100ws, but I finally have to "give" access to my account to my friend because he can´t signup.

What about the service?

Isn´t good, I have to install MANUALLY my own scripts, bcz the cp don´t have an installer. In the demo, I can see that an "Elefeante free scripts" has appear in the demo, but I have started a thread and get the response "100ws does not support Elefante scripts".
And in another service, with thw same, THE SAME control panel, I get Elefante for free without ned to pay for nothing.

If you want to block abusers, the way is offering good services, and the users cannot have to live these experiences, I know this bcz I are the manager of a hosting company.
I see millions of threads of people complainting that their IP rangr is blocked, a sollution is well at this moment.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 16 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team