It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:32 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Firefox 2.0 Alpha Imminent
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:00 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

By Gregg Keizer, TechWeb.com

The new software is likely to appear this week, with improvements to bookmarks, tabs, and extensions.

The Mozilla Foundation is close to releasing the first alpha edition of the next Firefox, the group's Web site announced, with a Tuesday unveiling likely.

Firefox 2.0, which at one point Mozilla officials said would debut in Alpha 1 format by the end of February, may appear as early as Tuesday. The browser, which will stress bookmark, tab, and extension changes, is in early development, and is scheduled for a final rollout in the third quarter.

According to entries on the Mozilla Developer Center blog and minutes of a status meeting a week ago, Firefox 2.0 Alpha 1 -- also called "BonEcho" -- may release Tuesday. Or Friday.

The agenda for a late-morning status meeting Tuesday, however, points toward an imminent release. All that remains to do is to finish two Web pages before pushing out the alpha.

The main purpose of BonEcho is to test Places, a new feature that combines bookmarks and browsing history.

True to its alpha status, BonEcho will be more sketch of the final Firefox 2.0 than an accurate image. "The UI [user interface] is not anywhere near final," the development team warned last week.

Other features planned for later editions include "undo close tab," which has been pushed to a second alpha, as had an on-the-fly spelling checker. The latter has been postponed because of difficulty getting it to also work with Mozilla's Thunderbird e-mail client.

Another feature touted by a Mozilla engineer in February, a centralized system for blocking malicious or uncooperative extensions, made it into alpha 1 at the last minute, notes from the March 14 meeting show.

Earlier reports over the weekend that BonEcho had actually released were incorrect, a Mozilla official said Sunday. Asa Dotzler, who runs Mozilla's testing program, chastised bloggers and others for hyping a not-released alpha 1 found on the group's servers.

"When we make a new release, we'll say so," wrote Dotzler on his blog. "Please don't report new releases because someone checks in a change to the user agent or similar. If we're actually doing a release, we'll announce it."

On Monday, Mozilla also rolled out the first public edition of Lightning, the renamed calendar add-on for Thunderbird. Lightning 0.1 can be downloaded for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X from the foundation's site.

When BonEcho (Firefox 2.0 Alpha 1) releases, it should be available here [site not yet live].

Firefox 2.0's rival, Microsoft Explorer 7, received a refresh of its Beta 2 Preview edition Monday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:57 pm 
Posts like crazy!
Posts like crazy!

I checked about whats in devolopment etc. It doesn't seem to have much.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:57 pm 
Sweet, Love FF may try it. Has anyone tried it yet? Are there any major annoying bugs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:37 pm 
I've used it and haven't really noticed anything major. Having the close tab within the tab is an improvement, I don't know why they ever removed it in the first place :). I think the default theme is a little nicer overall, and places seems useful to those who often use it. I haven't had much of a chance to look at the RSS, but that looks to be improved as well.

Hmmm, thinking about it maybe I should check to see if the ACID test is any different? I doubt it will be, but maybe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:38 pm 
Crud... heehee, forgot I don't have the password on this OS. >_>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:43 pm 
Nah, no browser changes :P.

It was a hope though, they really need to get up with Opera in that respect at some point. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:33 am 
Noobie
Noobie

I would rather stay with IE i dont like firefox that much it gave me too much greef

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:25 am 
Noobie
Noobie

I am not spammin i am putting my point across im sorry i never looked at how long ago it was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:44 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Ok bud thanks for the heads up...

looking at it i can see where your coming from.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:55 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Here is the beta 2.0 for you silly bumpers:
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... ses/2.0b1/

The rest of the online world more commonly knows me as "geoffreak"

My 100webspace username IS runesrage

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:08 am 
runesrage wrote:
Here is the beta 2.0 for you silly bumpers:
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla ... ses/2.0b1/

Downloading now :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:21 am 
Noobie
Noobie

I'm actually happy with how the final came out. I'm especially enjoying the spell-check. :) I know this was sort of a response to IE7, but I can't even install IE7 for comparison or extra safety when my parents want to use the PC. It keeps bringing me to the blue screen of death every darn time. :evil: Oh well. Screw MicroSoft. XD

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team