All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Newbie needing some help setting up a site
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 10:28 pm 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

Hello,

First of all I want to thank 100webspace for the free hosting. After I'm finished with the initial setup I will be upgrading to a paid service. But first comes my newbie 100 questions.

I'm looking to have a site with a phpbb forum integrated within it. For now a portal system for my home page with my forum integrated (rm249 I love that setup, I will be joing your forum in a minute :wink: ) Currently I have a forum setup thru greatboard.com. They only host the phpbb board, but I'm looking to transfer that over to here. They do allow me to do a full backup at anytime. Is this possible for me to do, seeing that I only have the db backup, and how would I transfer it over here?

They have some Mods installed, would I need obtain the list of those Mods? Please understand I am a complete newbie, but am willing to learn if it can be provided.

I have purchased a domain name and email, and will need to ask how to transfer that as well (I think I saw a thread on that) my site is www.hotclubforums.com

Thanks in advance
HB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:28 pm 
you SHOULD be able to transfer your backup into a new forum.... just get phpBB installed and do a restore from within the ACP of phpBB :D just dont get rid of your old forum until you are ONE HUNDRED percent sure that everything is working perfectly :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:28 am 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

That's great to hear, now I guess I need to read the instructions on installing phpbb. Hey rm249, what portal do you have setup on your board, I like how it integrates with your board 8) I'm kinda looking at pcnuke, but I haven't come to a conclusion yet.

Does anyone know about the Mods question I had? I'm taking that I would need to install the mods myself when I transfer my db over here :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:09 am 
I use my own portal I gues... I used a footer and header file that includes it into phpBB.... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:15 pm 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

HB wrote:
That's great to hear, now I guess I need to read the instructions on installing phpbb. Hey rm249, what portal do you have setup on your board, I like how it integrates with your board 8) I'm kinda looking at pcnuke, but I haven't come to a conclusion yet.

Does anyone know about the Mods question I had? I'm taking that I would need to install the mods myself when I transfer my db over here :?:

I tried to restore the db from my current site into the new one, but nothing happend. I did get an error at the bottom of the screen stating on the lines that I had to upgrade to a newer version. Should themes, smiles, logos (small amount of members haha and posts) transfer over? Or will I need to install the themes, smilies, custom logos first before doing the restore backup?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 9:34 pm 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

I forgot to mention, the version I installed on here is 2.0.15. I'm looking into seeing what version I have installed on the other host.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:53 pm 
once you figure out what version that you have on the old host download that version from phpBB and install it on your site, do a restore, and THEN do an upgrade to phpBB 2.0.16 that should work :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:23 am 
Noobie
Noobie

if had mods on old forum going need restall them on new one or

copy forum files off old site

hope that helps some

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:37 pm 
copy the forum files off of the old one AND the database and re-import them :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:06 am 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

Well, I've tried a couple of methods on restoring my forum over to this host, but so far no luck :(

How can I copy the forum files from my old host? Keep in mind, my old host is a phpbb free forum host. The script creates the forum in a matter of seconds. I am able to backup my my database, so I do have a copy of my db. I read on some tutorial that I need to edit the config.php file...would that be from the old host or the new? I have also read there is a way to restore using phpadmin, but I don't know how to do it that way. I would really like to get this figured out so that I can start using this host. rm249 you've been a big help so far, but if anyone else also knows how to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

thank you
HB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:08 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

The dataabse is the only thing you need. You will be able to restore your forum almost completely if you have your database. What you need to do is upload an installation of the latest phpBB2 version here in your account and install it. Then import your database using phpMyAdmin.

However any language packs and MODs will have to be installed too so that your forum may look as it looked before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:09 am 
To import it into your database, install phpBB of the same version that was on your old host and do a database restore from within the phpBB control panel, this should do the trick :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:10 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I am moving this thread to the "Forums, Blogs, CMS" section wher eit belongs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:46 am 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

support4 wrote:
What you need to do is upload an installation of the latest phpBB2 version here in your account and install it. Then import your database using phpMyAdmin.

However any language packs and MODs will have to be installed too so that your forum may look as it looked before.

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. Would you by chance know how I would go about importing my database using phpMyAdmin? Or if you have a link to a turtorial that would be great too. rm249, I've tried restoring using ACP, but that's not working :(

thank you again
HB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:28 am 
go into phpMyAdmin and click your database on the left side... then clikc the SQL tab on the top of the right frame then click browse and then upload, that should do the trick :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:08 am 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

There must be something wrong here. I followed your instructions, when I clicked upload, it said the upload was successful and that 57 tables and a size of 314.7kb was uploaded, when I look at my backup sql db on my HD it reads 494 kb. After I uploaded, I went to my site, but nothing changed. I guess I should start from scratch :?

At least my board was still very small :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:10 am 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

I also just noticed I got this error at the very bottom of the structure screen in phpMyAdmin

Error
The additional Features for working with linked Tables have been deactivated. To find out why click here.

don't know what that means

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 4:08 pm 
try opening a support ticket they can help you with the error with linked tables :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:53 pm 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

Thank you, I will try that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:51 pm 
ok :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:12 pm 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

The support team got my problem resovled. After so many hours of trying different methods, help from various sources, and countless sleep...I can finally say Thank you everyone. In fact because of the outstanding service I upgraded my free plan to a paid hosting plan :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:27 pm 
Thats good to hear / no problem for helping :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team