It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: A small site. Need comments.
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:07 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Okay,

so here's a site I made for a Live Action Role-Playing Game I, together with a few friends, organise. It's nothing much, not your usual big CMS managed portal, just a small website to provide info to players and wanna-be players. Worse, it's in french so you guys might not understand a thing, but since that's not the point anyway I thought I my post..

http://apocalypse.freefronthost.com

It has been online for a year, I recently (january) redesigned it, using the same tools (notepad2.exe) as before but with much more conviction in my capabilities ; goes without saying that it looks and, I think, behaves much better.

Speaking of it, that's what I'd MOST like to find out. Does it behave? I know firefox 1.5 and ie6, under winXP, gives me quite similar results. Since I have not been aiming for pixel-perfect layout anyway, small disrepetancies (spelling??) don't matter, but if it craps like, totally, out under the Safari or Conqueror or other browser I wouldn't mind knowing it.

Comments, critiques or full fledged flames about the layout, colours, fonts and/or graphics WILL be appreciated. -- Finally, if anyone has any hint about who/which site offered the cranium gfx that I use at the bottom of the page is, please tell : I remember the artist asking for a link back but I can't find his contact info anymore and since I changed the filename... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:12 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I don't speak French so I can't comment on the content but I LOVE the layout. The design is superb. Our banner on the top doesn't look so good however :oops: I am sorry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:19 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

lol!!

That's okay. I toyed with the idea of having a vertical banner for the site, to 'separate' it better from the 100webspace banner, but I fell short of ideas on how to integrate that into a working layout.

And it's not so bad anyway once I got it centered (had some trouble when the 100webspace bar was centered but the image kept going left aligned. I ultimately centered *everything* and then re-aligned the rest of the page with CSS..)

Thanks. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:28 am 
Nice layout, I do not speak French so I can not comment on the content as well, but the layout is simple, and looks great :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:34 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Thanks, simple is indeed a big part of what I was aiming for. Heck, the site almost 'look' great in lynx-browser. I gotta say that coming late to webdesign spared me the trouble of unlearning table-laid-spliced-image design methods of years past : I could dive straight into semantically (semi)-valid disposition of code and content. .

Now, I guess I'll need to find a more aggressive, juvenile place for criticism, though, as all I get here is pats on the back. :shock: Nah, only joking, I appreciate it as incentive to dive deeper into web design and such.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2006 4:41 am 
Posts like crazy!
Posts like crazy!

I can read it now :)
http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... combat.php

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:19 am 
Noobie
Noobie

PsychoticDude85 wrote:
It works in Opera, Firefox 1.5.0.1, Mozilla and Konqueror here (Slackware 10.2). Sorry, but I have to disagree about Lynx :P. It doesn't look bad, but nowadays everything in Lynx looks old to me ;).

The comment was made in jest, nothing ever looks great in lynx (but it is da** fast) :P

Quote:
Personally I think the links and the by-line from the header are a little oversized, and the text coming back towards the main content on the sub-list items is a little off-putting. The only other thing I can think of is that the links are very, very protruding. I think something a bit smoother might do to improve it.

Uhuh... For the byline, I kinda like it like it is or, rather, I like the space it uses up. I find the font maybe a bit too heavy (gives it a Lego(tm) feel) but it's about the best compromise I could find. The menu links might indeed be too much on the fat side. When I saw the page at 800*600 I was, I would say, quite unsettled. I, however, am a bit at loss as to what to aim for, graphic design never really was my kind of thing.

The quirk with the text from sub-items coming back to center is due to some errors I did in constructing the menu.. Padding and such, I'm too much of a fiddler and not enough of a technician. So I get lost at one point. The quirk shouldn't happen on the original french version of the site, unless one uses the text-size options of his browser. Did you use the babbelfish translated page?

I'm very curious about your last comment about links being very protruding, would you mind giving precisions?

Quote:
On the whole a completely awesome layout though, one of the best I've seen in this forum since I joined :).

Thank you very much. As this is maybe only the third or fourth site I've done and the only live one (others were dummies) I'm happy with the encouragements. :) However I reckon many of the templates/skeletons/whatever adaptations I've seen around are just so much more amazing, visually.

Hey, thanks a lot for commenting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team