It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Database Training
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:10 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

The fact that I'm a total beginner will show in this post. I have a few questions and I guess each will have multiple answers or perhaps opinions.

Databases are mentioned all over the place. I realise it has many useful applications especially when you're dealing with large amounts of data. What I don't know is when to use a database and when to stick to just a plain old website with a few pages of text and information.

From what I understand, databases come in handy when information gets updated frequently and the old information needs to be kept for record keeping and for display on request at a later stage (like these forums).

Example: I want to put up a website purely for information regarding a non profit organisation. The pics will be updated from time to time. The projects pages might get a facelift every now and again. The only thing that will possibly require constant upkeep is the records of people or organisations that made donations. This information will only be available to the staff and management of the company.

1. Do I need a database?

2. Where do I start? I know next to nothing about the actual database design, implementation and administration. College or similar training would probably be the ultimate answer but those fall way beyond my budget. There are tons of books available and I'm sure just as many websites can be found. Have you done any interesting reading that you'd recommend?

3. I am aiming for open source and the most common name I've come across is PHP and MySQL. I had a quick look at these two and the learning curve seems quite steep in both. Any alternative suggestions regarding software?

Those are my questions for now. Thanks for any advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:12 am 
Noobie
Noobie

PsychoticDude85 wrote:
A word of warning, anything "For dummies" or "in 24 hours" tends to be a lower quality to other books, so avoid them unless you get a recommendation from someone who knows their stuff.

Been there, done that :oops: They only tend to give a broad overview. That's why I'm here now :D Thanks for the pointers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team