It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:59 pm

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: PHP vs. PERL
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:19 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Which one is better for the creation of an online text based game? I want to attempt to make my own version of an online game that I play as it is about to go under, but I dont know what to create it in. My skill level in PHP is intermediate, and I have no knowledge of PERL, but am willing to read up on some online tutorials.

Currently, the game is in PERL, but I dont know if there is a reason for this, or just programmer preference.

Basically, is there something that you can do in PERL that you cannot in PHP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:47 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Actually, I have a mental 'blue print' of what needs to be done, and how to do things already. This biggest problems I have is creating a random number generator (which should be easy to find online somewhere), creating a script that will automatically run every 5 minutes and increment available turns (no idea how to accomplish this, but I figure can find an example online somewhere), and the best way to set up the SQL DB. I figure I will need ATLEAST 15 tables. Having problems finding the best way to set them up, but I have a background in DB creation, so I will eventually hit upon the best way.

For yours and anyone else's info, the game im trying to recreate is here. That in itself is a recreation of Archmage. There are also numerous other clones of the game out there as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:02 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Ok, well, the site I was going to put this on HAD Crontab service when I paid for hosting 2 months or so ago, but it isnt available now. I opened a support ticket and was told that it was a mistake my having Crontab to begin with, and no hosting plans are availble to receive Crontab.

Any other ideas how to do this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:51 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

I recomend using php its easyer and less confusing but like the other people say somethings PERL can do that php cant do

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team