It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:07 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: this forum has more views than answers
PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:12 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Wonder why this forum has more people viewing questions rather than ones trying to answer them. I know not everyone is an expert and don't have answers. Maybe subjects don't intrest people but they look at the questions/answers anyway.

Some examples follow you can see currently in the forum:

Changed the Look got 662 views. Replies were 3
Different browsers got 73 views. Replies were 3
Help getting form to work got 349 views. Replies were 1

That's as of 8-25-07 when I was there.

How can so many viewers have no answers? Maybe there're curioustiy seekers. Maybe there're lazy and don't care. If so, why read any of it?Maybe people are waiting for others to reply. I'm no expert and can't answer all of them either but when someone gets 662 views and gets 3 replies what would you think? How about 73 views and 3 reply.?

Believe this forum can be a good thing and has helped me in the past. But lately people seem to look more than help others.

This message is meant to be polite and not get people mad.
Robinston

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:04 am 
Noobie
Noobie

At least the forums are being viewed. I belong to some other hobby related groups and out of about 500 members, only about 20 are active in either the hobby or the forums. Some are active in both but most just couldn't be bothered to take part in online events.

It seems to be a global problem. My question is similar to yours, robinston: These things are called online communities. My understanding of a community is that it supplies a platform for human interaction. If you're not going to interact, then why join a community?

As for the forums here at 100ws - I'm still a newbie and read a lot more than I post. I find forums a very good source of info if you're prepared to trawl through tons of (usually) irrelevant information in the hopes of finding the solutions you were looking for. I've posted a comment or two but my knowledge of these matters is hopelessly inadequate at the moment. Judging by the type and amount of questions, it seems that the majority of members are in a similar position and therefore it's mostly the support staff that post helpful information.

It would be interesting to get some poll results on the level of education of 100ws members...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:32 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Quote:
A lot of it is guests I'd say, that and spiders and other bots. It is still partly apathy though, it's just working out how much is.

COMPULSORY POLL:

Are you...
- A Spider
- A Bot
- A Human
- Something Else

How about it? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:22 am 
Noobie
Noobie

PsychoticDude85 wrote:
Internet forums are a sketchy source of information, some of it is good, but a lot of it is utter crap.

LOL - You're right. I should have been more specific. I read and compare different forums, then to cross reference, throw in a few google searches and read some more. Your advice on the books would be good too.

Post subject: more views than answers
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:58 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

I appreciate the comments my subject has created. After I posted it I was afraid people would be mad and say bad things about it. I was embarassed posting it. I knew good people were on 100webspace.

Actually I learned from others comments. I admit I read subjects but make no replies. I don't have all the answers. Wish I did. If I knew all of them I'd open a consulting business. It's true people look at previous answers to learn things but the # of answers are less than # of questions. Perhaps people don't give information because they don't want competion??

It gets frustating sometimes when you know you want to do something to your web page or site. You can search the internet, go to school, do whatever you can to get educated. All of this can be very time consuming. It's like you almost know "how to" but not all of it. Something is left out like a missing piece of a puzzle. Thanks, Robinston

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team