It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: Valid Code
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:50 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

One of the most important things that come to web design is code that works in ALL browsers such as my code. But there is a little problem! I had my code checked by w3.org and it is valid HTML 4.01. BUT the stupid ads AREN'T vaild code! See for your self! http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http: ... dcode.html. None of the error code is mine. It is all 100WebSpace.com's banner code!

Total Number of errors: 44!!!

I am sorry, but this hurts me a lot. If anyone goes to check the page, I don't have valid HTML 4.01 any more! :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:30 pm 
I have no life!
I have no life!

Hey,

Stop complaining about the ads. There is nothing we can do about it, but about the problems. I dont believe they are exactly problems as if they were, the support / webmasters will have them fixed asap.

CyberGeek's Software Solutions
-- WWW: http://www.cybergeeksoftware.com
-- Tech Line: 1-519-860-4557
-- Email: cybergeek@cybergeeksoftware.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:03 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Sorry to resurrect the topic, but the problem seems to still exist. I don't mind having the ads there, but they're still messing up my validation. I'm using the Firefox developer bar, which detected masses of javascript errors (I counted to 60-odd and lost count), and the validation detects 12 errors. Take this for example:
http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//bobloco.freeunixhost.com/v4/wp-content/themes/underneath-the-sky/header.php

Any chance of a fix for it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:49 am 
Probably not, sorry :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:34 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Sorry to drag this up, but it is an issue with me as well.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the need to place ads on the free accounts and have them always visible. I am also very grateful for your free service. Nowhere else have I found a setup such as this.

It'd just be nice if the code were valid.

I personally think that it should be made to be for sure valid with XHTML 1.0 strict (as that would work for everything previous as well), but even a simple HTML 4.01 Transitional or Strict would be nice.

It isn't that hard to change the code to make it valid. How you get it to insert to the correct place (ie - inside the <html> and <body> tags so it doesn't throw an error)... I don't know if that is as easy, because I don't know how you get the server to insert the code onto each page.

You could probably ask many people on here and they would be glad to take your code, change it to make it valid, and give it back to you.

Furthermore, as I think people have pointed out on other posts (I only did a cursory search), the ads disappear when a page is sent with the application/xhtml+xml MIME type and viewed in a browser such as Firefox or Opera. I don't believe there is anything wrong with this (on the part of the user) because the PHP code to make the page send as xhtml+xml isn't meant for removing the ads but to correctly send XHTML as it is meant be sent. Also, if the code for the ads was simply updated they would not disappear.

Granted, the ads still appear when viewed in Internet Explorer, so a large chunk of the Internet audience still sees the ads; however, if you want your ads to be more effective, you should update the ad code and make sure it will display for people using Firefox, Opera, or other standards-compliant browsers.

I don't really consider this an issue of "appease the free users," but more an issue of making your hosted sites more compatible for everyone, and making sure your banners always show up on the free user pages.

Looking forward to any comments/thoughts/responses, whether from other members or from 100webspace support people... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:45 am 
Noobie
Noobie

I would've put this in my last post, but I discovered you can't edit your posts on these forums :oops:

=cipher= wrote:
I dont believe they are exactly problems as if they were, the support / webmasters will have them fixed asap.

I believe the fact the ads aren't valid DOES make them a problem. As I said above, they won't show up with the application/xhtml+xml MIME type in some browsers. That is not good for 100webspace; they should want their banners to show up all the time. Furthermore, the webpage creators are not sticking in any "illegal" scripts or something to purposely get rid of the ads - they are simply sticking in a script that will send the page with the application/xhtml+xml MIME type, the way that any XHTML page SHOULD be sent according to Internet standards.

Therefore, the ads are sometimes disappearing because of 100webspace's ads, and it is not the free users' faults. If that isn't a problem, I don't know what is :?

And it doesn't have to require major focus and the urge for a quick fix to be a "problem." They could quite easily find some minor problem with their system that affects very few people, yet they could be lazy and decide not to put the effort in to fixing the problem.

I am NOT, though, insinuating that 100webspace is lazy :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 1:38 am 
Noobie
Noobie

No response yet?

No response from the moderators or 100webspace (I have no idea if the moderators work for 100webspace or not -- chances are not).

But are there no further comments on the validity of the code?

If 100webspace really doesn't want to change it, I suppose that is ok with me. Internet Explorer users will still see ads and have invalid code, but IE was made to display invalid code anyway.

I'm kind of happy that Firefox users won't see any ads on my page because the code is invalid.

However, I also won't mind the banners returning if they change the code to make it valid, because I do realize the necessity for placing banners on the free accounts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:39 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Sorry guys, the code won't validate, our programmers apperently like disorder and do not believe in validators... Further discussion would be meaningless, I assure you the code won't be edited. Topic locked, I am really sorry :(

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team