It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:16 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Website access after deletion
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:43 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

I successfully uploaded some files using ftp to create a website, but when I uploaded some ammendments they did not work when accessed through the internet i.e. using the site's address. For example, going to mydomain.com showed the previously uploaded page, whereas going to mydomain.com/index.html showed the correct updated files.

I have now deleted the whole site from the www/ directory in the file manager, but I can still access the site via mydomain.com!!!

Can anyone tell me why this is or what I am doing wrong?

Many thanks :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:57 pm 
How big are the files?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:06 pm 
I have no life!
I have no life!

Greetings,

What are you saying? You can still access your files after you have deleted them?

If so, did you delete them from www/yourdomain.com/ directory?

CyberGeek's Software Solutions
-- WWW: http://www.cybergeeksoftware.com
-- Tech Line: 1-519-860-4557
-- Email: cybergeek@cybergeeksoftware.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:08 pm 
NO! I'm not a flooder!
NO! I'm not a flooder!

Do you mean you can access your whole website like normal including all the pages or do you mean you can still access your site but its an offline page ??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:53 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Cheers for replying so quickly! :D

I can access this site as normal, even though the files have been deleted from www/mydomain.com. The files weren't that big (about 1 or 2mb in total), as I am only just starting to build the site and am in the experimental stage.

If I use Safari or IE 5 (for PC) then I can still see the webpage that I've deleted from www/mydomain.com. If I use IE 5.2 (for Mac) then the website cannot be accessed online anymore - which should of course be the case.

Could this be some sort of caching problem in Safari and IE 5 (PC)? I've tried resetting both browsers to rid them of temp internet files and cookies etc, but it seems to make no difference! Any suggestions on how to alleviate the problem? It's quite annoying to not see the changes correctly (which could cause problems later if other people want to view the website) :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 7:40 pm 
In IE clear the Temporary Files, Tools > Options :D Try that and tell me if it does anything :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:28 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Yep, I've tried that. I've now put the files back in www/mydomain.com and the initial problem is still there. In IE 5 (PC) none of the pages are updated.

Safari lets you do a complete reset - getting rid of cookies, cache, and history in one go. When I do this, the page that displays when I type in mydomain.com is still not the updated index.html page. However, when I click the home button on the page that is displayed (which takes me to mydomain.com/index.html) the correctly updated page appears.

I haven't been able to try the procedure in IE 6 (PC), but the fact that the pages show correctly in IE 5.2 (Mac) suggests that IE 6 (PC) should be ok. I'm just baffled as to how Safari and IE 5 (PC) can find an old webpage that shouldn't exist, even when all temp files have been deleted! :o

I don't suppose anyone else has come across this problem?

Post subject: Not so much a solution as an avoidance...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:34 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

...I've now switched to using Freeway Express instead of RapidWeaver and the problem has gone away!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:42 pm 
cool :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:51 pm 
I have no life!
I have no life!

Thats Great! :D

CyberGeek's Software Solutions
-- WWW: http://www.cybergeeksoftware.com
-- Tech Line: 1-519-860-4557
-- Email: cybergeek@cybergeeksoftware.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:03 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

im havin the same problem. i deleted my site and changed it another version yet some of the files can still be asscessed even thought they have been deleted. i clear my temp everyday so it cant be that, anyone have an idea

Post subject: Sorry I haven't checked for so long...
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:18 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Yes, even though I'm now using Freeway, if I update the site more than once within 24 hours I get the same problem. It seems that the servers at 100webspace.com cache your index.html file so that when you type in domainname.madpage.com what you actually see is domainname.madpage.com/index.html.

Unfortunately it seems that this cache is only refreshed (as far as I can tell), once a day - using around 1pm GMT, although I can't be too sure about the time.

If you are still finding that old pages are displayed after you've uploaded changes to your website, try waiting for a day or two and then checking your site again. You should find that all the changes have come into effect. :-)

Hope this helps :-)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team