It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: Question about .exe files.
PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:38 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

I am hosting my site here. I have been for 3 years. I am now ready to move up to one of the PAID accounts. The problem is that I offer remote PC support as a part of my ONE man business. That requires my client to download the server portion of the remote support app from my site. If exe files are not allowed under ANY of the paid accounts I have to find another hosting company.

Thanks

Post subject: Just a suggestion...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:30 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Good day,

im kinda happy to know that you are that satisfied with the service 100webspace has to offer..

If you want to let user download "exe" files then you can still host in 100webspace and host your exe file into some virtual storage. most of them are free.. im not talking bout rapidshare coz im sure your costumers wont like it, im talking bout websites such as snapdrive.net, if your just gonna look im sure you will find plenty of them...

having this kind of strategy saves you the risk from hosting your site to some unfamiliar webhosting company which you havent tried out yet, compared to 100webspace which you said has been helping you for 3 years now and you really know how things work here is an advantage..

secondly if you put exe files and have it available for download i am sure that its gonna eat up your bandwidth.. but if you go sign up for some virtual drive then you have exlusive bandwidth for downloading alone and rest assured that download speed is fast...

this is just a suggestion and its all up to you to decide...

Why look for spmeone else when you already got the best?

-ian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:40 am 
Noobie
Noobie

Can't you zip the .exe and make it available for download that way? After all, it's only a file and if I understand correctly, the file will only be executed client side and not on the server.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:37 am 
shaba1, I am sorry to say this but the .exe files are not allowed in any of our accounts.
This is due to some security reasons, our system administrators and management had a discusion about this some time ago, but they decided to keep banning the exe files for some reasons, you can just archive the files or change their extensions but if you leave them as .exe they will be removed automatically.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:53 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

My feeling is if the person needs me to remotely log into thier computer in order to fix a problem then they will not have the ability/knowledge to unarchive and zip or rar file. I am trying to K.I.S.S.

Is there a listing of exactly WHAT types of files are and are not allowed on ones website and which programs allow which types of files to be downloaded from the site.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:31 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

I'm not sure if self extracting zip files are classified as .exe but if you use the directory structure when zipping it up then surely even my granny should be able to:
1. Click on the link.
2. Double click on the downloaded file.
3. Sit back and wait for you to do whatever you do.

Just my $0.02.

An afterthought... :twisted: Script kiddies also need people to download files where no user intervention is required... :twisted:

Seriously though - keep up the good work. I don't have patience with people who don't even know how to change the wallpaper on their desktop, so I admire your patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:09 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

leohom wrote:
I'm not sure if self extracting zip files are classified as .exe but if you use the directory structure when zipping it up then surely even my granny should be able to:
1. Click on the link.
2. Double click on the downloaded file.
3. Sit back and wait for you to do whatever you do.

Just my $0.02.

An afterthought... :twisted: Script kiddies also need people to download files where no user intervention is required... :twisted:

Seriously though - keep up the good work. I don't have patience with people who don't even know how to change the wallpaper on their desktop, so I admire your patience.

Yeah I use to think the same thing. UNTIL I worked at my former job and tried teach basic windows usage. Trying to get a person to click the RIGHT mouse button was a major effort.
With the remote support program I use it saves me a lot of time and frustration. But believe me just getting them to be able to SAVE the thing to thier desktop so that they can click on it is and effort in explaining. If I do not explain that in the most simple terms I usually get. "What do I click on" or "Where is that 'thingie' now"

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team