It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC

Forum rules

Please click here to view the forum rules

Post subject: phpbb mod problem: "topics anywhere" mod
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:29 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

hi everyone. I was wondering if you could help me.
I'm hosting a phpbb2 forum on a freeownhost account and wanted to use this mod on my front page (website) to display the latest posts.

The mod generates a javascript which you put into your html/php. The problem is that it doesn't seem to display anything on the page though I've checked, the code does do what it's suppose to but it just won't display it on the page.

I've looked quite extensively on the net and came across this thread:

[url]http://www.phpbbhacks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=49790&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=&sid=74c027d3534da626c53df4a7637e642e
[/url]

This guy was having the same problem but it looks like he gave up. The support guy (2nd post from last) suggested it was because the guy needed to log in.

I have no idea what he's on about but perhaps a starting point to get this issue resolved?

thx for your time. ps. I didn't want to open a trouble ticket since I was hoping someone here ran into the same/similar problem. :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:33 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Can you show us the code of the page that loads a blank page? i think this is the right place to start.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:47 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Here is the generated jscript:

Code:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="http://svrman.freeownhost.com/phpBB2/topics_anywhere.php?mode=show&f=a&n=15&r=y&a=y&so=d&b=squ&lpb=0&lpd=0&lpi=y&br=y&ch=22&chw=e">
</script>

on this page:

http://svrman.freeownhost.com/php_driven_website/index.php?id=forums

using this mod on my phpbb2 forum:

http://svrman.freeownhost.com/phpBB2/topics_anywhere.php

Thanks support4 for the quick response.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:55 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Code:
<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" runat="server" src="http://svrman.freeownhost.com/phpBB2/topics_anywhere.php?mode=show&f=a&n=15&r=y&a=y&so=d&b=squ&lpb=0&lpd=0&lpi=y&br=y&ch=22&chw=e"></script>

This is what I see in the code of your page. Try removing
Code:
runat="server"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:02 am 
Noobie
Noobie

that's odd, i thought I removed that already. Oh well it's gone now but still not working.

Earlier today whilst scanning the phpbb.com forums, there had been alot of talk about freehost's ad policies interrupting the script causing it to fail. Is this most likely the reason?

If it is then it's okay, I'll try a different method.
thanks again support4.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 2:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Could you be more concrete about what you have read (about freehosts policy causing this problem)? At this time I don't think that this is a server side problem, it looks like a matter of misconfiguration. I hope taht we will be able to find a solution.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 12:10 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

well i couldn't give you the exact post I read since the thread is a 100 pages long, but I do recall it refering to the free hosts inserting ads into every page. Sorry I can't expand on this since I'm not even a novice when it comes to stuff like this.. I am a complete noobie! :roll:

I've tried pasting the src link from the aforementioned javascript into the address bar and I do get the latest forum topics but with the 100webspace ad code as well.

Try it here!

So at least I know it works.
I've tried different "latest posts" modules but this one by far is the simplest and fastest I've seen, it's just a shame I couldn't get it to work.

I think the simpliest solution would be to get paid hosting :D :wink:
Anyway here's wishing you all a Happy New Year!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:44 pm 
The reason that his happens is because the server adds the Advertisements to ALL PHP files, it can not decide whether it is a PHP file used as a page, or a PHP file used to generate a javascript.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:46 pm 
Noobie
Noobie

Ah then it is as I expected.. thanks for clearing that up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:35 pm 
No problem, if you know PHP, you could use the script to create a JS file that has that in it at a timed interval and then read that JS file.... that is a possibility :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ]  Moderators: fhmagic, KJ, Moderators, Support Team